The mission of the Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary is to:
The AMLS model is a cost-effective, sustainable and innovative solution to a global problem and is both replicable and scalable.
Construction of the Sanctuary began in Vroulia Bay on Lipsi Island in 2016. The aim is for it to be fully operational in 2021.
Interns who join this project will take part in numerous research and communication projects related to the creation of the Aegean Marine Life Sanctuary, while they are also welcome to take part in the actual construction process if interested!
As this facility is not yet operational as a rehabilitation centre, this internship will not involve animal care but instead will be focusing on the crucial tasks in preparation of its operation.
Thus, the interns would be involved in helping with a variety of activities with a focus on:
• Applicants can have a wide range of backgrounds: marine biology, education, social sciences, marine biology, art, communications, and/or related fields
• Comfortable working under low supervision as well as leading a project independently
• Proficiency in using and managing social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram)
• Experience in public relations and/or journalistic writing
• Experience in scientific writing
• Experience in fundraising
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work both individually and as part of a dynamic, multicultural, multidisciplinary team
• Excellent organizational and time-management skills
• High standard of work
• Fluency in English
• Sincere desire to work towards Archipelagos’ conservation efforts
• Motivation to live in a small island community
Internship duration normally ranges between 3 - 12 months, although shorter or longer internship periods may be arranged to cover the needs of groups or individuals.
Archipelagos’ research bases and stations are in the Eastern Aegean Sea, on the islands of Samos and Lipsi as well as onboard the research vessels. Interns often move between research bases and boats depending on where the surveys will take place.
As a non-profit research institute, the internships we offer are unpaid. This educational/research experience requires a monthly fee of 650 euro to cover living expenses, the cost of training, use of research equipment and travelling with the research vessels, use of the office facilities, as well as insurance.
For internships of less than 3 months in duration the participation fees are raised to 780 euro per month.
Please note that travel costs to and from the research base are not included in the fees and are covered by the participant.
Students and recent graduates and researchers are advised to search for possible funding through their universities, by getting in touch with the International Office/ Placement/ Erasmus+ Offices at their Universities or other relevant grant providing organizations in their region.
To apply, please send your motivation letter, your CV, a copy of your resume, cover letter and one reference letter (if available) to [email protected]